Stillenroute.com is part of the Amazon Associates affiliate program, as well as affiliate programs from other companies. That means if you purchase a product through links on this website, I earn a commission, at no additional cost to you.
Are packing cubes worth it? That’s a great question. Before I get to that, let me ask you a different question. Have you ever had to sit on your suitcase in order to close it?
Yep, me too! I suppose that should be enough to answer your question, but if not, let me talk about packing cubes for just a bit.
What Are Luggage Packing Cubes?
Packing cubes are lightweight fabric bags that come in various sizes and shapes, and are designed to hold items in your suitcase. They allow you to separate and organize those items inside your suitcase. There are packing cubes in sizes that will fit in virtually any size suitcase, backpack or carryon luggage that exists.
Here is an example of some great packing cubes to help you get organized inside your luggage.
Here is a great example of some quality packing cubes. This set includes small, medium, large, and slim packing cubes made out of soft polyester fabric and mesh, and can help you organize any size suitcase.
Benefits of Using Packing Cubes
- Prevent Overpacking – When you use packing cubes, there is a finite amount of space in your suitcase because the cubes only hold so much. That makes overpacking much more difficult. Which is a good thing!
- Make You Have a Packing Plan – If you normally pack in a willy nilly fashion with no plan at all, using packing cubes will help you plan. Why? Because you will need to plan which items go in which packing cubes.
- Makes Separation of Items Easier – Separating items mid-trip is sometimes necessary. Like separating dirty laundry from clean clothes. With packing cubes you can designate separate cubes for each so you no longer have the problem of everything winding up in one big jumble.
- Allow You To Find Items Quickly – With your items separated and organized, it’ll make finding a specific item a breeze.
- Make Shared Suitcase Room Easier – Ever share some suitcase space with your spouse, your child, or your best friend? Now, you can each have
- Make Unpacking and Repacking Quicker –Packing cubes make unpacking and repacking very easy. They are especially useful on multi-stop trips where you would be unpacking and packing more than once. In this case you can pack separate cubes for different stops along your itinerary, or organize them by days. At the start of your trip on the first stop of a multi-stop journey you can have everything you need for that stop packed in just one or two packing cubes. When you’re ready to move on to the next stop, it’s easy to repack that one or two cubes and start over again at the next stop.
- Versatility – Packing cubes are so versatile. They come in sizes that will fit in virtually any size of checked luggage, carryon luggage, purses, backpacks, and tote bags.
Is It Better To Roll or Fold?
It depends. Technically, folding clothes causes them to have more wrinkles than rolling them. And since most people fold their clothes to put them in packing cubes, the argument is there that your clothes will be more wrinkled than not using packing cubes at all and just rolling the clothes.
But, there is no law against rolling some items that tend to crease more easily and then putting them into the packing cubes.
I do this all the time.
So, roll or fold, then into a packing cube. It works!
Will Using Luggage Organizers Really Save Space?
Yes. Using packing cubes will create more space inside your luggage, with the added bonus of being able to find those items much more quickly. Remember, packing cubes will prevent overpacking, and that alone will create more space inside your suitcase along with the space-saving nature of the packing cubes themselves.
Are Packing Cubes TSA Approved?
TSA security lines take long enough these days, and you certainly don’t want to have an issue once your turn comes to go through security. The question is, are the packing cubes TSA approved or will you get earmarked for an additional security search if you have them in your carry-on luggage?
Good news! Packing cubes are not in any way prohibited by the TSA, so you can use them with confidence. Remember, though, to always adhere to current TSA guidelines on what you can and cannot bring through security in the airport.
Packing Cubes – Should You Use Them?
By now, you’ve most likely formed your own opinion on the question at hand – Are packing cubes worth it?
I personally think they are great and definitely well worth it.
Here are a variety of different luggage packing cubes that are inexpensive, versatile and will go a long way to keeping you organized!
- Veken 6 Set Packing Cubes, Travel Luggage Organizers with Laundry Bag & Shoe Bag (Teal)
- GOX Upgraded 4 Piece Packing Travel Organizer Cubes Set Packing Cubes For Carry On 1 Large 1 Medium 1 Small 1 Slim
- Packing Cubes for Suitcases - Luggage Organizers for Suitcase
- Best Packing Cubes Set Travel Luggage Organizers Suitcase Travel Accessories
- Packing Cubes VAGREEZ 7 Pcs Travel Luggage Packing Organizers Set with Toiletry Bag (Pink)
If you’re planning a trip, don’t miss my Trip Planning Checklist! It’ll keep your trip planning organized while the packing cubes keep your belongings organized.